Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Black & White Quilt

With hubby and his daughter off camping, and the Olympics on the television, I got the top pieced to my commission quilt this weekend.  I left work on Friday night and stopped to pick up a little sushi to bring home for dinner.  After seeing them off, I settled in for a little "me" time.  It is always nice to have the house to myself for a little while.  No one else to worry about, I can leave the bed unmade if I want and eat when and what I want.  I can stay up late and sleep in.  Of course, I was really ready to see them roll back in this afternoon.   The operative word here is.....a "little" alone time.  I lived alone for a couple of years before remarrying in 2008.  I was happy during that time and had a busy, full life.  But, I have to say I love being married to my husband.

We had a joint birthday celebration tonight for my husband and his daughter.  Their birthdays are about ten days apart.  I made a birthday cake from a recipe that has been in Glen's family for a long time.  It was his "Grandma Mac's" recipe that she entered into a contest.  It's his favorite cake and he wants it for his birthday every year.  Here's a picture of it.  That's not purple icing, it was a shiny purple streamer I hung from the light fixture for the celebration!

Anyway, I'm so happy to get the quilt top pieced.  I am thinking that I will do straight line quilting for this.  I like the contemporary look of that type of quilting and I think anything else would get lost in the patterns of the fabric.  This quilt pattern calls for random placing of the squares and that is very difficult for me.  I find myself wanting to "arrange" the squares so that each fabric is evenly placed.  This time I made myself just grab the next square in the stack and sew it down.  I'm undecided about the end result.  It does look better in person, the picture doesn't quite do it justice.  I'm open to comments, let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. That quilt looks like you took it w/ black and white film! How cool is that?

    My hubby left Wed. and returns tomorrow- I love the weird schedule of meals and sleep when it's just me. I think eventually I would become nocturnal if left to my own devices. Like you, I WILL be happy to see him return tho.

    Have a happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely become nocturnal left to my own devices. I just seem to get going at around 10:00 p.m. every day. If the rest of the world would just cooperate!

    ReplyDelete