Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gratitude

Last night I was getting ready to go to bed and as I washed my face, I thought "wow, my cheeks sure are rosy" and then I thought..."man! it's hot in here".  So, I wondered out to the bedroom and asked G if he was hot (I know he's hot, but that wasn't the kind of hot I was thinking of).  I took a gander at the thermostat and it was 85 degrees in the bedroom!  So, at 11:45 on a Saturday night we were up in the attic investigating.  Another 45 minutes later we came to the conclusion that the air conditioner was not working and there was not a damn thing we could do about it at 12:30 at night.  I was very grateful for the ceiling fan and the two oscillating fans we own.  It was a little warm, but we made it through the night.  We were able to locate a repairman and by 1:30 this afternoon we had air conditioning again.  It was not a fun 12 hours, but it made me think about all the people here in Texas that can't afford air conditioning and are having to endure this horrendous heat we're experiencing.  I sometimes forget how very blessed I am and I certainly am guilty of taking all these conveniences for granted.  This is an exceptionally hot August and I am so ready for it to be over.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had finished a pillow for a friend.  I used this tutorial from Sew4Home to create this for her from fabric left over from the shower curtain I made for her a few months ago.  I can post this picture now, since I gave her the pillow today.  We met for breakfast and while I was extremely pleased to catch up with her, I was ever so grateful for the air conditioned restaurant!  Here's a pic of the pillow (I know it's a bit blurry, but G took the photo for me right before I ran out of the house this morning.)


It was so fun to make.  The back is a Bella Solid green with a covered button that matches the front.  The fabric is Andalucia by Patty Young.  It love how all the little birds form such a cute circle!

I have been very busy lately working on a fun crewel pillow kit that I purchased off eBay recently.  I can occasionally be a little ADD in my crafting.  It's funny though, I always come back to fabric.  It truly is my first love. (in a crafty sort of love)
I can't wait to get it finished and on the sofa!  The kit even came with a lovely green velvet piping and a real metal zipper with cotton twill tape!  The pillow front is a nice heavy natural linen and the yarn is pure wool.  The kits I buy today just don't have that same quality.  Sigh.......

What are you working on?  Are you finding fun ways to stay cool?  I hope so...

No comments:

Post a Comment